This is a family favorite growing up. My mom would make this with the left over turkey after Thanksgiving or Christmas. I decided to tweak it and make it vegetarian by omitting the turkey and adding mushrooms and carrots. Talk about a great 30 minute meal: combine ingredients ahead of time and when dinner time is near, layout your crescent rolls, fill and bake!
2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, chopped or finely shredded
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup mayonnaise
8 oz. package of crescent rolls
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 Tbsp freshly chopped thyme
1/2 Tbsp freshly chopped basil
1/2 tsp pepper
dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- In bowl, combine spinach, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, cheese, dried cranberries, mayonnaise, mustard, honey, thyme, basil, pepper and a dash of salt. Mix well. Set aside.
- Unroll package of crescent roll; separate into 8 triangles in a circle on a large pizza pan or stone and smaller end points towards the outside. The points will overlap in center.
- Using small rolling pin, roll over seams of triangles where wide ends meet, making a smooth surface for filling. Don't seal center triangles.
- Using tablespoon, scoop filling evenly over the dough in a continuous circle.
- Beginning with the last triangle placed in center of pizza pan, bring point of triangle straight across filling. Next, bring point of the opposite outside triangle diagonally across filling, covering point of previous triangle. The filling will show.
- Repeat, overlapping points of inside and outside triangles to form a wreath. Tuck the last end under first.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.