There have been so many wonderful changes going on during the past 3 months. We finished our remodel, moved and... have baby number 2 to welcome this August! Needless to say, that is why blog posts have been sparse lately. With morning sickness (lets just call it all day sickness) and extreme exhaustion, it was hard to find focus, time and energy for anything except making sure Chase was fed, happy and well (should I mention the mass amount of television he was forced to watch as I wasn't able to do much except lay on the sofa). I am so grateful to finally feel my energy back and the sickness gone. Amen to you wonderful mamas out there who endure the full 9 months of all day sickness- you are rock-stars.
I have been asked about any pregnancy cravings and with my first it was red meat (which I don't eat) and this time its chocolate. Chocolate as in brownies and cookies, anything baked and moist that melts in your mouth. So I have been working on healthier versions for both. I will share my favorite brownie recipe later. It is officially perfected after having practiced the past three months making and eating entire pans in 2 days!
A friend recently introduced me to coconut butter. Have you ever had this amazing delightful "treat"? You can find it at your local health food store such as Whole Foods. It is different from coconut oil in that it is the raw flesh of the coconut and has a bit sweeter flavor and more solid texture. It is so good we eat it straight from the jar! Well, it is butter, so lets add it to baked goods for a healthier, sweeter, creamier, moister treat. Bonus health benefits in these cookies are they are gluten free and have Chia Seeds and Greek yogurt added. I usually start my baking off with some sort of gluten free flour mix. But you can use regular flour if you prefer. Since I already had Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free pancake and baking mix in the house, I used this kind and loved how these turned out. Gluten free products can tend to be drier but these were incredibly moist!
Two twists to the flavor of ordinary chocolate chip cookies are adding cinnamon, cardamon and coconut butter. We devoured these in a day!
2 cups gluten free flour or all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (yep- lets add some protein in here!)
1 cup organic sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicon mats.
2. Whisk together flour, salt, cardamon, cinnamon and baking soda.
3. With a stand mixer, using the mixing bowl, beat coconut butter, Greek yogurt, and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add vanilla then eggs one at a time. Beat 1 minute.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix by hand with a spatula (to keep them chewy barely mix the dough to avoid over mixing). Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Using 2 spoons spoon dough into slightly round tablespoons onto baking sheet. Leaving 2 inches in-between.
6. Bake cookies for a total of 8-10 minutes (depends on oven), rotating mid time (after 4 minutes).
7. Remove from oven and let cookies rest for 1 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let the baking sheet cool before doing your next batch.
Serious moisture going on here! Enjoy!